2019-2020 STEM GRANT
The ASCE Wichita Branch is proud to support innovative K-12 STEM education projects or activities that inspire the next generation. The award supports the enrichment of students pursuing programs in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). For the 2019-2020 school year, ASCE purchased STEM Kits through Lakeshore Learning and awarded grant funds to Denise Archer, Apollo Elementary School, and Graham Ratzlaff, Eishenhower High School.
Educators (Kindergarten through Grade 12) who are actively involved in a STEM program within the 37-county Wichita Branch territory can apply for the grant. Applications must be submitted by mail or email (email is preferred) and include the applicants signature. Electronic signatures or scanned copies with original signature is acceptable if submitting electronically. Applications must be complete.
Applications will be reviewed and winners(s) selected based on which appear most beneficial. Funds/materials will be distributed to the school within one (1) month of the award notification. The Wichita Branch of ASCE reserves the right to waive irregularities or not award a grant. Applicants may be contacted for clarification of application responses.
R. SPENCER DELAMATER, P.E. SCHOLARSHIP
The Wichita Branch R. Spencer Delamater, P.E. Scholarship was established in 1999 for the purpose of inspiring civil engineering students to high achievement in both academic and leadership development. The $1,500 scholarship is available to a Kansas State University, University of Kansas, or Benedictine College civil engineering junior or senior meeting the stated eligibility requirements. The objectives of the scholarship are to:
- Recognize student achievement in leadership in organizations that are devoted to the betterment of the Civil Engineering profession and society.
- Encourage scholastic achievement.
The following criteria will be used to determine student eligibility for application to the scholarship:
- Academic performance through the previous Spring semester of at least a 2.5 GPA. The selected student will be asked to provide a transcript of grades.
- Having completed 75 hours minimum of graded work for juniors or 105 hours minimum for seniors by the end of the current Fall semester.
- Preference shall be granted to students who either 1) are from a high school or community college in the 37 county Wichita Branch territory prior to attending Kansas State University, University of Kansas or Benedictine College (See map) or 2) have interned with a professional consulting firm or government agency with an office in the Wichita Branch territory.
- A member of and involvement in the student chapter of ASCE.
- Campus and community activity.
The Scholarship Selection Committee will make applications available through the universities during the fall semester and select the winner based upon the criteria shown on the application and consultations with applicable civil engineering department faculty. The chosen student will be notified in the fall; tuition money will be available for the spring semester.
Applications are now being accepted and are due no later than 5:00 p.m. Tuesday, November 24, 2020. The Wichita Branch of ASCE reserves the right to waive irregularities or not award a scholarship.