2017 STEM GRANT
Maize Middle School was selected as the 2017 STEM grant awadree. Educator Sarah Kromer submitted an application for a project regarding Heat Transfer/Propulsion Rocket Fuel for 7th and 8th grade students.
The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Wichita Branch was proud to offer its first $500 grant supporting innovative K-12 STEM education projects or activities that inspire the next generation. The award supports the enrichment of students pursuing programs in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). The grant may be used for any STEM activity and/or program that directly benefits students or student activities promoting the enrichment of student learning in a STEM related field. Focus on engineering and real-world applications is preferred.
Applications will be sought for the next grant at the end of 2017. For more information, please contact Chad Banka at (316) 303-3022.
Download the rules and application here.
R. SPENCER DELAMATER, P.E. SCHOLARSHIP
The Wichita Branch R. Spencer Delamater, P.E. Scholarship was established in 1999 for the purpose of inspiring civil engineering students to high achievement in both academic and leadership development. The $1,000 scholarship is available to a Kansas State University or a University of Kansas civil engineering junior or senior from the state of Kansas. The objectives of the scholarship are to:
- Recognize student achievement in leadership in organizations that are devoted to the betterment of the Civil Engineering profession and society.
- Encourage scholastic achievement.
The following criteria will be used to determine student eligibility for application to the scholarship:
- Academic performance through the previous Spring semester of at least a 2.5 GPA. The selected student will be asked to provide a transcript of grades.
- Having completed 75 hours minimum of graded work for juniors or 105 hours minimum for seniors by the end of the 2015 Fall semester.
- Be a U.S. citizen and a Kansas resident. Preference shall be granted to students that graduated from a high school or community college in the 37 county Wichita Branch territory prior to attending Kansas State University or the University of Kansas. See map.
- A member of and involvement in the student chapter of ASCE.
- Campus and community activity.
The Scholarship Selection Committee will make applications available through the universities during the fall semester and select the winner based upon the criteria shown on the application and consultations with applicable civil engineering department faculty. The chosen student will be notified in the fall; tuition money will be available for the spring semester.
The Wichita Branch of ASCE reserves the right to waive irregularities or not award a scholarship.