2017-2018 STEM GRANT - A CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
The ASCE Wichita Branch is proud to offer a $750 grant supporting innovative K-12 STEM education projects or activities that inspire the next generation. The award supports the enrichment of students pursuing programs in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). The grant may be used for any STEM activity or program that directly benefits students or student activities promoting the enrichment of student learning in a STEM field. A focus on engineering and real-world applications is preferred.
Congratulations to Amelia Earhart Elementary school in Goddard! They were selected to receive the 2017-18 STEM grant from the Wichita Branch of ASCE. The school employs STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) education and plans to purchase reusable STEM kits for their students. The goal is to develop skills in critical thinking, problem solving, and perseverance while exploring science concepts.
R. SPENCER DELAMATER, P.E. SCHOLARSHIP
- Recognize student achievement in leadership in organizations that are devoted to the betterment of the Civil Engineering profession and society.
- Encourage scholastic achievement.
The following criteria will be used to determine student eligibility for application to the scholarship:
- Academic performance through the previous Spring semester of at least a 2.5 GPA. The selected student will be asked to provide a transcript of grades.
- Having completed 75 hours minimum of graded work for juniors or 105 hours minimum for seniors by the end of the 2017 Fall semester.
- Be a U.S. citizen and a Kansas resident. Preference shall be granted to students that graduated from a high school or community college in the 37 county Wichita Branch territory prior to attending Kansas State University or the University of Kansas. See map.
- A member of and involvement in the student chapter of ASCE.
- Campus and community activity.
The Scholarship Selection Committee will make applications available through the universities during the fall semester and select the winner based upon the criteria shown on the application and consultations with applicable civil engineering department faculty. The chosen student will be notified in the fall; tuition money will be available for the spring semester.
The Wichita Branch of ASCE reserves the right to waive irregularities or not award a scholarship.