See the picture at the head of this page? That interchange is being reconstructed. Hooray! And we need a new picture for our website. Details of our picture contest are available at this link.
Due to the ongoing pandemic, we are holding virtual meetings using Zoom. We're having lunch meetings, rather than dinner meetings. Since we are not providing lunch, there will be no fee for the meetings. Watch your email for an invite, as you will need to register in order to receive the Zoom link. If you have not been receiving the invites, contact Nathan Alburn (Nathan.Alburn (at) cityofloveland.org).
We take a break during December. Our next meeting will be January 14, 2021. Jill Roth from Stantec will be speaking on "Design using Envision Sustainable Infrastructure Rating System" at the Portland Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Topics for this season (2020/2021):
- Engineering Ethics and Laws in Colorado. Peter Marxhausen, M.S., P.E. November 12, 2020, noon, by Zoom.
- Portland Wastewater Treatment Plant - Design using Envision Sustainable Infrastructure Rating System. Jill Roth, Stantec. January 14, 2021, noon, by Zoom.
- Future World Vision. Edward Stafford. February 11, 2021.
- Scour Concerns for Historic Masonry Arch Bridges in Ireland and the UK
- Water Supply Tunnel Rehab Work in Poudre Canyon and Park City, Utah
- Wyoming Abandoned Mine Lands - Sinkholes
- Presentation from Giroux Great Projects Lecture Series - Paul Giroux - by Zoom
- On October 8 2020, Dylan Hoehn of Engineering Analytics presented on "St. Vrain River Restoration" following the 2013 floods.
- November 12, 2020 featured Peter Marxhausen speaking on "Engineering Ethics and Laws in Colorado."
Opportunities to Serve - and burnish your resume!
- The Northern Colorado Branch is looking for people who want to serve on the Executive Committee. The Membership/Publicity Chair and Social Media Chair positions are open. Please contact Todd Hepworth if you are interested.
- We are always interested in finding more speakers! If you are interested in speaking, or if your facility would host a tour, contact Nathan Alburn.
- The Weld County Building Code Board of Appeals has an opening for a volunteer position.
Social Media Pages!
Here are links to the social media pages for Northern Colorado Branch ASCE! Find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram! And look for the Young Professionals on LinkedIn, and the CSU Student Section on their website!
Ready, Set, Create!
With some local kids at the High Plains Library in Greeley, we learned about cleaning up polluted water, and built our own filters. Our favorite librarian, Judi Koch, had lots of materials like sand, coconut fiber, and activated carbon to try. Check out our filters here:
We had a great time at the High Plains Library building bridges too! Check out these structures!
Thank you to Victor Sam for this great shot from the CSU Engines Lab tour!
The Engines Lab is in the old CSU Powerplant Building. Research is ongoing into engine efficiency, as well as other forms of combustion, such as cook stoves for developing countries. Along with the lab, the building houses a business incubator with offices for start-ups.
Thank you to our Branch Meeting Sponsors!
March, 2020: CTL Thompson
February, 2020: Stantec
January, 2020: Garney
November, 2019: Anderson Consulting Engineers
October, 2019: Ditesco
March 2019: Merrick
February 2019: CTL Thompson
January 2019: IGS
November 2018: Martin Marietta
October 2018: NCB ASCE
May 2018: CTL Thompson
March 2018: TetraTech
January 2018: Profile Products
November 2017: ditesco